We’ve all heard of the government’s campaign of eating five-a-day but how easy is it actually to achieve this? On the face of it, this information is hard to stomach but actually when you look into it closely and vary your eating habits, it really isn’t that hard to achieve. I’m living proof of it- from someone who never even made eye contact with a vegetable before, I easily eat ten a day now. Here’s some of my helpful handy tips on how to incorporate more fruit and vegetables in your diet.
1. Beans on toast – pulses (lentils or beans) of any type count as your one a day. Ok it’s not for everyone’s pallet but I add a handful of sweetcorn in their two and you’ve got two servings of your five a day in one meal.
2. Avocado – half an avocado acts as one portion. Chuck some of that in your salad and your on your way to achieve five-a-day.
3. Banana milkshake – I love this protein fuelled post workout drink. Just whizz up a banana with milk, honey and peanut butter in a blender and enjoy.
4. Tuna and vegetable toastie – On a slice of bread, add some tuna, then top with diced green peppers, onions, sweetcorn, and tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese before grilling it.
5. Fruity breakfast – Chuck some fresh strawberries or chop up a banana on your cereal.
6. Orange juice – nice and simple. Pour some cold orange juice into a glass. But remember this will only count towards one of your five-a-day portions so no point downing the whole carton. Oh and give the vodka a miss!
7. Dried fruit – easy to slip into your bag and handy to tuck into when hunger strikes. Dried pineapple, mango raisins all count.
8. Stir fry – One of the easiest ways to load up on at least two or even three of your veg a day and the more colourful the better. Add in chicken, beef or tofu for your protein fix.
9. New Covent Garden Soup – half a carton is a two to three-portion lunch or supper.
10. Fruit – It’s so easy to eat fruit on the go. An apple, handful of strawberries or cherries, bunch of grapes, a couple of oranges, a couple of kiwis all count towards your one a day.