You’ve managed to drag yourself out of bed, loaded your long day ahead with a high-GI, low-fat breakfast, fought your way into work whether that was by train, car, tube, or feet, trawled through the millions of emails that seemed to have sprung up overnight in your inbox, chomped through your muscle-building lunch at your desk while multi-tasking and now it’s 3pm and you’re feeling the afternoon slump. This dip in your energy levels is as inevitable as the air conditioning never being at the right temperature And when your body runs out of steam, it wants the quickest top up possible. But beware of sugary snack as they can blow an entire days hard work and healthy nutrition. No need to despair though as there’s ways of turning your slump into an energy boom.
Five ways to beat the afternoon slump
1. Walk it off – A brisk 5 minute walk will boost oxygen levels in the blood to prevent mental and physical fatigue. It will also release feel good endorphins to improve your mood. I often walk up and down some stairs if I’m sat on a top floor of a building – it means my glutes get a fair amount of workout too!
2. Smart snack – A healthy snack with natural sugars will satisfy your body’s natural need for instant energy. I find a handful of grapes, or oatcakes with peanut butter do the trick.
3. Cool it – A glass of cold water is about more than a break from your desk. Staying hydrated enhances alertness and keeps your metabolism fired to burn more fat.
4. Stretch out – Stretching the muscles in your upper body after spending all day hunched over your keyboard encourages good circulation and improves concentration (the boss will be pleased! )
5. Planning ahead – A breakfast based on fibre and protein will ensure you will have enough fuel to keep you fired up for longer periods. Porridge with blueberries and nuts or an omlette keeps me full for longer.
So there you have it- a healthy solution to the pm dip. Afternoons have never felt so better! To health 🙂